Historic Walking Tour
170 West Elkhorn
This property at the corner of West Elkhorn and Wiest is still referred by many locals as "Bob's Amoco", since it was a gas station until not many years ago, when the residential/retail project was constructed under the auspices of the urban renewal authority. Earlier this site hosted a horse stable and car lot.
In the second image, the 'Chevron' station is the current 170, and the Amoco sign at the far end of the street stands on 238 W Elkhorn, advertising the gas station across the street.
Old-time Estes Park visitors still tell the story of the horses being returned to the rental stables on this site at the end of the day by letting them run down the street. They returned to their home stalls with food and water from anywhere in town when their riders set them free of the hitching posts.
Rocky Mountain Souvenirs
Over The Edge
1920-1951- Estes Park Garage / DeSoto-Plymouth Dealership
1990s- Bobs Amoco auto service and towing
All original website content © Copyright 2021