Historic Walking Tour
134 West Elkhorn
Current use (not the original building)
In September 1934, the building on this site was remodeled and outfitted for Dr J.O. Mall, Dr P.A. Staley and Dr Reid to have "an operating room completely equipped for major operations, hospital rooms, several consultation rooms, X-ray room, office and waiting room". It was known as the "Estes Park Hospital" and "Mall Hospital" over the years. In 1937 it was announced that the hospital would be a "Year Round Institution in the Park", but due to a lack of space it would be used for emergencies only. Serious Grand Lake medical emergencies were brought to this location for care. F.O. Stanley (Stanley hotel) was treated here in July 1937 after being thrown from his Stanley Steamer whilst driving along high Drive, and after hitting a pothole, struck a tree and he landed outside of the car.
Another 'famous' patient was treated here in 1957 when Lana Turners daughter Cheryl Christine Crane spent her 15th birthday at the Mall Hospital after being injured while riding a horse bareback at the Elkhorn Lodge (image + caption below).
Mrs George Peck managed the hospital for Dr Mall. In 1938 Dr Fred Kuykendahl took over Dr Mall's practice.
Lot purchased by LE Grace August 1944, who was renting from George Church at the time, at 128 W Elkhorn. He also purchased 132 W Elkhorn (Miller studio) at the same time.
Koehlers Sandwich shop / restaurant (previous building)
All original website content © Copyright 2021